Steve's Auto Service
At Steves Auto Service, we know that our customers want their experience to be convenient and efficient. They also require a wide selection of services and knowledge about all aspects of auto repair from us. To meet these needs, we provide our customers with the following services:
Service Engine Light
Description: An orange indicator light labeled CHECK ENGINE or SERVICE ENGINE SOON, it's also known as the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) in technical jargon. The importance and function of this light became more critical starting in 1996, when the second generation of onboard diagnostics, known as OBDII, became standard equipment on all makes and models of cars.
Purpose: Required by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for tighter emissions control, OBDII has the ability to monitor a diverse range of engine-related functions and record critical information. You can think of this information as your car's electronic "vital signs." OBDII information has proven to be so credible that it is now being used by some states as part of their emissions testing programs. The SERVICE ENGINE SOON or CHECK ENGINE LIGHT has several modes and can indicate a normally functioning system, a system that requires prompt attention, and a system that needs immediate attention.
Why pay Dealer prices for your brake services. Our shop can complete most brake services while you wait.
We use quality brake parts such as Raybestos, Wagner and Bendix. These parts are race tested and usually carry a warranty 3 times as long as the Dealer provides. We can also save you money.
When should you have your brakes inspected:
- At the first sign of a decline in braking performance
- When the warning light illuminates on your dash
- If your brakes start to make noises you haven't heard before
- The brake fluid level requires frequent "topping off"
- Every 5,000 to 10,000 miles or when you rotate your tires
- An undesirable growling sensation is felt when braking
- The vehicle seems to surge, pulsate or pull when braking
Computer diagnostics has several meanings when it comes to checking out your vehicle. The main use for computer diagnostics is when we hook up to the on board computer that runs your car and download information.
- The information we download consists of stored data when the system was not running properly, "live" data that the computer is using to manage the motor and other systems, and built in testing that allows us to take control of the computer and force it to perform several functions on demand.
- The sensors in the system take information from the engine and other systems. The wiring transmits the information to the computer and the computer then analyzes and calculates the data.
- After the computer has calculated the data it sends signals through the wiring harness to the output devices and tells them what to do. This happens from the moment the key is turned on to the moment the key is turned off.
Starters / Alternators...The Electrical System: Your Car's Nerve Center. When engines were first developed, they used electricity only to ignite the gas. Modern vehicles like yours operate using a complex system of electrical circuits that create, warehouse, and disburse the energy needed for operation.Repairing a car’s electrical system means looking at three major components:
- The battery
- The starter
- The alternator
The CAR Battery... The Source of All Power... Your car’s battery is the primary source of electricity. It provides the energy necessary to run conveniences such as clocks, radios and alarms.
At Steves Auto Service battery inspection looks at:
- Overall car battery and case condition
- Cable connections
- Hold-down hardware
- Electrolyte level (where applicable)
- Then a Battery Load Test is performed to measure the battery’s power level as required by the battery and vehicle manufacturers' specifications.
The Motor Starter: Getting A Move On... The starter motor converts electricity to mechanical energy to turn the engine over. The starter requires a greater initial amount of current to flow from the battery to the starter motor to get the engine running. Checking the starter means checking:
- Cable connections
- Mounting bolts and brackets
- Then a Starter Electrical "Draw" Test is done, measuring the amount of electrical energy required to turn the engine over during cranking. Results are compared to manufacturer's specifications.
Keeping Your Car Running
Once the engine is running, the car's alternator takes over. It powers the electrical system and restores energy to the battery. Ensuring the Alternator is running means looking at:
- An overall visual Inspection
- The drive belt
- Mounting brackets
- Electrical connections
- A Charging System Test checks alternator output (current) and voltage and ensures they are to manufacturer's specifications.
Working together, your car’s battery, starter and alternator supply your car with electrical power. The power level is stabilized with a voltage regulator and a fuse box that prevents small malfunctions from becoming major problems.
Transmission Service...No matter what type of car you drive, American or Import, classic, or just basic transportation we can service it. Regular maintenance and check ups can help you to avoid a large repair bill, so don't wait until you need a tow and a major rebuild....call us today to schedule a regular transmission service and check up. If your car transmission needs repairs or replacement, you've come to the right place. Steves Auto Service is the best place for all your automatic and manual transmission repair and service needs.
Fuel Injection...Replacement costs of fuel injectors can run as high as $170 ea. With our cleaning service you can restore your fuel injectors to like new condition for a fraction of the cost of a new injector through the ultrasonic cleaning and testing process.
Muffler Repair and Installation...Come in and Get Exhausted! Steves Auto Service specializes in offering you the very best in muffler and exhaust work for your cars, trucks, SUVs and minivans, both foreign and domestic. Whether you need a clamp fixed on your muffler, or you want a complete, custom performance exhaust system installed on your vehicle, Steves Auto Service will get the job done.
Tune Up...When your car is properly tuned, the ignition system, fuel system, emission system and the computer system are all working together. This results in peak combustion chamber efficiency, saving you money at the gas pump and making sure your car is emitting a minimum of pollutants.
How do I tell if my car needs a Tune-Up?...Check your owner's manual. Tune-up intervals are different for each car.
Many people assume a tune-up will solve a drivability problem. That's not always the case. Our experts perform a tune-up verification to confirm that your car will benefit from a tune-up. Your problem may be unrelated to a tune-up and may need an engine diagnosis.
What does a Tune-Up include?...
- A tune-up verification
- Replacement of spark plugs
- Emission levels analysis
- Timing/idle speed adjustment (if adjustable)
- A complete maintenance inspection
- Suspension System
- Control Arms
- Ball Joints
- Springs (Coil or Leaf)
- Shock Absorbers
Steering Systems, Suspension Systems
- Steering Gear Box
- Center Link
- Pitman Arm
- Idler Arm
- Tie Rods
- Rack and Pinion Assembly
- Bellows Boots
- Tie Rods
- Control Arms
- Ball Joints
- Shock Absorbers
Air Conditioning...We can repair anything having to do with your air conditioning. We perform All types of repairs including climate controls, electronics, conversions from R12 to R134A, and many types of modifications. We also do installations on almost any vehicle on the road.
Oil Changes...It’s recommended that you change your oil every 3 months or 3,000 miles to help keep your car running at peak performance, deliver better gas mileage, and handle and ride properly. One of the most common mistakes you can make with your car is to let things as simple as an oil change slide.
That’s why it’s important to pay a visit to Steves Auto Service once every three months or 3,000 miles. For an expert oil change and free inspection, performed by guys who are trained, tested and top-of-the-line.
When it comes to reliable car care…"Don’t Worry . . .Call Steves Auto Service!... 330.940.3557